Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Jr Day

Chase's teacher told me how they had been learning about Martin Luther King Jr. in class, so trying to be the good parent that I tell everyone I am, I started a conversation with him over dinner. Here's how it went... Me: So Chase, tell me what you've learned about Martin Luther King Jr. Chase: He got shot. Me: Ok...anything else? Chase: He had a friend that got kicked off the bus. Me: Do you know why she got kicked off the bus? Chase: No. Me: Because her skin was dark. Back then, a lot of people thought that people who had dark skin were bad and they weren't allowed to do things like sit in certain spots on the bus or eat in restaurants. Chase: (Blank Stare. Blink. Blink.) Well, that's stupid. Me: Yes Chase, it was. The moral of this story? My 6 year old son who knew only that Martin Luther King Jr was a man who got shot and had a friend kicked off the bus, already knows more about what Dr. King stood for than the majority of educated adults I've encountered in this world. Maybe we should start listening to the 6 year olds of the world more often.

No comments: